Sunday, December 8, 2013

The Hunger Games (1st Movie) Review

Since Catching Fire has gotten great reviews declaring the movie "outstanding" from critics, web surfers, and my piers, I figured that I would check out the first movie. When The Hunger Games came out last year it did not make a huge impact. While it was definitely popular, it was not like a Harry Potter movie where you had to see it when it came out in order to fit in. The Hunger Games was ignorable. That is why I did not see it.

However, now that the second movie has been super successful and is said to be hundreds of times better than the first movie, I decided to watch the first movie. It was good, but not great.

The set up is nice. I know a lot of people claim it rips off Battle Royal, but I have never heard off it before, so it does not effect my opinion. The movie does a good job of introducing this cruel world. I like how the rich people dress up in these ridiculous costumes. It is serial. The lady reminds me of Depp's Mad Hatter. The games themselves were done nice to. I felt the impact of the kids dying. When the Hunger Games start and it shows the older kids killing the younger children, the movie did not hold back. Granted more blood could have been shown, but the movie still gave us the sense of savageness the games represent. Rue's death was powerful in my opinion. The riot scene after it made it even better. The Hunger Games showed how humans can destroy each other and even come together in tough times. Rue helps Katniss and develops a strong bond even though they will have to kill each other and the alliance only supports one another for their own selfish gain.

I was rooting for Katniss the whole way. She is a good heroine, however she can be a little bland at times. Her boyfriend was not interesting. Also I wish they showed more of society's cruelty, but it looks like that is covered in the second movie.

If you have not seen The Hunger Games, I recommend you see it. I cannot say everybody will love it, but it is worth a watch. Especially since the fan base for it is growing exponentially.

No comments:

Post a Comment